Friday 2 December 2016

Helping Dreams Become Reality

When I was about 4 years old I wanted to be a duck when I grew up. I always loved water but hated putting my face under, so the idea of floating on top of water every day, all day seemed like a good fit for me. Though I was young, I still remember the laughter that erupted when I first announced this aspiration at the dinner table. My mum’s smile is etched in my mind. Thankfully I moved on and no one was disappointed when this childhood dream didn’t become a reality!

When we ask the pupils at the schools we work with what they want to be when they grow up, we hear that many of them want to be teachers, nurses, doctors and pilots. It is our desire to see these dreams become a reality for as many as possible. That said, we are aware that we work with primary schools that end in Grade 7. Because of this, for several years now, we’ve been giving bursaries to pupils who either show a particular aptitude for learning or are from a family of greater need and show academic potential.


In January we will be supporting 100 children with these bursaries. Each student will get their secondary school fees paid, plus a little extra to contribute to books and uniform. In addition to reaching the ‘100’ landmark, we're excited because, in January, the first group we started supporting in this way will be entering Grade 12, their final year of schooling. These pupils have flourished despite coming from extremely challenging backgrounds. We are ver proud of the way they are growing up to be mature young men and women, continuing to pursue their dreams.


In the run up to Christmas we’d love for you to consider helping support us with these secondary school scholarships. A year of secondary school costs £75 so we are asking you to consider supporting a child for one term at £25 or £75 for a whole year.

This Christmas, let’s encourage children as they pursue their dreams to achieve.

To support a child for a term of secondary school (£25) click here.

To support a child for a year of secondary school (£75) click here.

You’ll be pleased to hear none of our pupils have never wanted to be ducks… Though we did have one pupil who confidently said he wanted to become a parrot (which we deciphered was actually a pilot!)

No comments:

Post a Comment