Tuesday 1 November 2016

Admin, Marathons And Cake

A random blog but that’s my life!

ADMIN - We have recently returned from our annual administration trip where we interview all the children at 2 of our schools – Janna and Greater Joy – and then input all the new data into laptops so that we have up to date information about each child that we can then send on to their sponsors.

It is a great time to see all the children and teachers again and to be reminded why, in the London office, we do what we do – to fundraise so that these children can have the best opportunities of a good education, an excellent meal every school day, and school uniform. The majority of the children have a good BMI and are loving school. The classrooms themselves look better year on year and the teachers are really enjoying their job. Really encouraging to see, and we truly have our sponsors to thank for their ongoing commitment to Beyond Ourselves as without we, it actually wouldn’t happen. THANK YOU.


As well as interviewing this year, we took the team to a couple of homes and we undertook their household chores just for an hour. We swept and polished their floors, did clothes washing and started preparing lunch. I must confess I was a bit tired by the end of the hour! We always ask the UK team for a highlight of their week. For me this year, it was just the realisation that a Zambian lady’s day comprises those daily chores and maybe making fritters to sell or selling other vegetables within the community. Obviously our lifestyle and pace of life is so much faster over here – some of which we can do nothing about, but it did make me wonder whether I should do an audit of my weekly schedule and see if the pace can be slowed down a bit!


MARATHON – well half actually – a huge WELL DONE and THANK YOU to the 13 people who ran the Royal Parks Half Marathon for Beyond Ourselves on 9th October! They raised over £3000 which is great news and I’m sure they enjoyed every minute of it!


CAKE – This year we have increased our teachers’ salaries so I am pledging to raise £1000 to cover one teacher for the year mainly by making lemon drizzle cakes galore!! I am no Mary Berry but I have a few admirers of my lemon drizzle at Stephen James, so I think I can reach my target with cake! I would love to encourage you to join me in this fundraising challenge. Can you have a coffee morning/cake sale – I am amazed at how much can be raised with a cake sale! Do let us know if you do organise a cake sale as we can send you fliers to publicise your event.


By Karen Hosker

No comments:

Post a Comment