Wednesday 25 May 2016

Introducing The Interns

Two recent school leavers from London, Tom and Noah arrived in Zambia a few weeks ago and, after a short time travelling, came up to Ndola to volunteer with Beyond Ourselves.


So, Tom and Noah, what brought you to Zambia and to the Beyond Ourselves' doorstep?


T - I came out with my school (Cranleigh) in October 2014 and loved it. Once was not enough, I had to come back! The people I spent time with were so warm and friendly and I really wanted to get to know them and the culture better, so I jumped at the chance when I heard about the internship.
N - Tom told me about the internship with Beyond Ourselves and it sounded like a great opportunity. I am keen to experience different cultures from the one I am accustomed to. Although I’ve been to Africa (Egypt) before on holiday, I knew that this would be a very different experience and was keen to immerse myself in Zambia’s culture.

After arriving in Zambia you went travelling before heading up to Ndola to be with us. What highlights would you like to share?


T - Falling off a 111m high cliff! Deliberately - I’m not that clumsy!
N - Perhaps you should also mention the safety harness?
T - Yeah, that was definitely an influencing factor in my decision to do the gorge swing!
N - We spent a few days at Victoria Falls and it was stunning.
T - We also went to Chobe National Park, which was amazing!
N - I enjoyed seeing the wondrous wildlife (A little bit of alliteration for your more discerning blog readers).

Tom Falling
Thanks Noah. What are you looking to gain from your time with Beyond Ourselves?

N - I’d like to gain a better perspective on life and learn about and from the Zambian Culture.
T - Yes, perspective is a good word for this. Having spent the last 5 years living at a fairly prestigious school, I’m hoping to gain some real life experience of the wider world.

Thanks gents. Have you got a fun fact for the blog readers? Something to gain insight into your psyche?

T - If I were a colour, I’d be black.
N - Tom, black’s the absence of colour.

Black, not a colour.
There it is folks; Tom and Noah, our interns.

No comments:

Post a Comment