Monday 11 April 2016

Elizabeth's Three Month Zambian Experience


Being able to spend the last three months with the Beyond Ourselves Zambia team has given me some of the best and most important experiences of my life. Having never been away from home before for quite so long I was a little bit scared of suddenly living for three months on the other side of the world, but from the start I felt almost instantly at home and very welcomed by Dan and Melissa and their boys and then by the rest of the team as well. That welcome was then further extended by everyone at the three schools; Janna, Kawama and Greater Joy. 


A definite highlight of my time in Zambia has been getting to know certain members of the teaching staff at the schools. Everyone at all the schools has been so lovely to me but in particular I want to mention Teacher Ireen at Janna school, Teacher Metrude and Teacher Joyce at Greater Joy and Headteacher Mary and Ivy at Kawama school. All of these ladies made me laugh and cry and they have given me such great memories to take home with me and keep forever. Getting to spend time with all the staff at the schools has been a privilege and leaving them and saying goodbye was an emotional roller coaster for me. Mary and Ivy even tried to convince me to stay and sleep on the mattress in Mary’s office! 
               
                          

Another highlight has been the Grade 7 days and the dignity training days that were held during my time in Zambia. To know that the children of the three schools are being given support in sexual education as well as having it reaffirmed in their hearts.

that they are important and they have a purpose made me happy as they should all know that they are to be valued and are equal. It was also really lovely to see all three schools come together and to spend time with one another and play games as well as having a chance to have serious conversations.


Being in Zambia has had it’s lows as well as it’s highs and there were some heartbreaking moments that made me take a step back and remind myself that it’s charities like Beyond Ourselves that are making differences in places where the people aren’t as fortunate.

as others elsewhere in the world. Joining Melissa, Jan and Mike on home visits as well as taking part in work experience with the Cranleigh school team opened up my eyes to the hardships that people go through daily just to survive and it has made me look at some things I do and have in my life that I can change for the better.

                    

As I look back on my time in Zambia, I feel that my faith has been strengthened by witnessing others in the faith and seeing their love of God and their devotion to Him. I shall always remember the amazing praise and worship time that was had at inset days, training days and the grade 7 days and also remember the joy I felt listening to the amazing singing in both English and Bemba. 

Thank to Beyond Ourselves and the team, Dan, Melissa, Emily, Mike, Jan and Jodie and everyone I met along the way who helped make my time in Zambia so special and for giving me memories to remember forever.

by Elizabeth Flynn, our recent Gap volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment